Thursday, April 12, 2007

Twilight and New Moon

As most of my family and friends know I love reading. I am a complete nerd about it. A few summers ago, when my friends and I lived in Raintree, I made a friend who was just about as nerdy as me. We used to often go the library, get slurpees from 7-11, and have read-a-thons!

But I'm pretty sure I have out done my own nerdyness. Karen (my mother-in-law) gave me a book on Sunday night: Twilight written by a Stephanie Meyer. It's about a girl who moves to a small town in Washington and falls in love with a vampire. Apparently all the girls in her ward just love it and I love hearing about new books. I finished the 500 page book by early Tuesday morning. But not wanting to seem too over eager I waited until Tuesday afternoon to call Karen to see if she had the next book in the series. By Wednesday morning I had picked up the next 55o page book: New Moon. I started reading it around 5:30 pm, took a few breaks now and then for dinner, Jon Stewart, and such, and was done by 4:00 am. I've been completely captured by these books.

For me it's not so much the mystical story with vampires and warewolves that captivates me. It's all about Bella and Edward. I lost myself if Bella's thoughts and feelings and in her relationship with Edward. I felt like I was feeling everything she was. So many of her feelings about Edward mirrored my own about Dave: everything from the anger and frustration of trying to figure out why he does what he does to the way I sometimes have to remind myself to breath when he's around. In the second book, when Edward leaves Bella, I literally felt my heart break. It was almost as if Dave had left me! I felt her utter despair and her consuming emptiness as I read. I became whole again only when Bella was safely in Edward’s arms again.

As for now, I'm waiting in anticipation for the next book Eclipse that comes out in August!

No comments: