Thursday, April 5, 2007

Blindness

So I finally finished my book...whew! It took me forever. The book is called Blindness, written by the Nobel Prize winner (for literature) Jose Saramango. It was very intense... to say the least.

The basic premise of the story is that an epidemic of blindness sweeps an entire country. The story follows a group of people who end up clinging to each other for their very survival. Society crumbles, basic hygene is abandoned, people are reduced to little more than scavengers.
I have to admit, I'm not exactly sure what it was all supposed to mean. I was surprised by the ending, it threw me off. It also seemed to undermine all that his characters had just gone through. So now I really don't know what Saramago was trying to say. Overall, it is a very interesting, albeit pessimistic commentary on human nature.

No comments: