Monday, February 19, 2007

Books, Books, Books!

So the idea of keeping lists and reviews of the movies we watch gave me the idea of keeping track of all the books that I read. I'll even write little summaries and reviews on those as well! This will be good for me to help me remember more of what I read and which books are worth reading!
I'll start with the book I just finished while in Hawaii. It's called Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith. This is actually the third book in a series called the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency. The series is about a woman named Precious Ramotswe in Botswana who decides to open her own detective agency. The novels are full of passages of her simplistic sounding yet deeply moving opinions. (1)
A major theme that Mma Ramotswe deals with throughout the series is morality. She deeply believes in what she terms 'Botswanan Morality.' This includes proper greeting proticols, due repsect to your elders, and the idea that the ends justify the means...a little wickedness now is okay if it brings about a positive outcome. She judges people based on their adherence to this morality and is never wrong!
I have definitely been enjoying these books. I have the next 2 on my bedside table ready to read as soon as I finish my current book: Blindness.

No comments: