Friday, August 10, 2007

My Summer Reading

I've been able to read a bunch of books this summer...it's been a blast. Here's a quick list and brief summary of each (so far).

Rebecca: I very much enjoyed this one. It's about a young girl who married a widower and suffers the insecurities of being the second wife to a seemingly perfect woman.

Kite Runner: This one was also very good but also dealt with rather difficult situations and themes. I was interesting to learn more about the contemporary history and culture of Afghanistan. And I just found out that the movie is coming out in November.

Price of Motherhood: This was the only non-fiction book I read this summer and I found it fascinating. It's about the economics of motherhood (both the pros and cons) and the social and political stigma that surrounds mothers.

Life of Pi: This one was a little difficult for me to get through until the last 100 pages or so. I think it would have helped me significantly if I had read through the book group questions at the back of the book. It's definitely one that needs discussion.

Golden Compass: This one is a kids book, and we all know I love to read kids books, but it was a little slow for me, too. It's the first of three in a series and if my book list ever gets too low I imagine I'll probably read the rest. There is also a movie coming out in December that I'm pretty excited to see.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: I thought this was yet another triumph for J.K. Rowling. Although it was a little slow at the beginning I thought it ended perfectly. I was very satisfied.

Eclipse: This is the third book in the Twilight series and it was my favorite of the three! I loved it...even despite the teasings of my husband!

The Spy Wore Red: I just barely finished this one and also thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a book about a real woman who was a spy for the OSS during WWII. It's pretty amazing and you have to keep reminding yourself that it all really happened!

No comments: