Monday, April 2, 2007

As one who will be walking in April graduation...

I know this post is a little late but I'm still going to throw in my two cents.


BYU has recently made the decision to allow Vice President Dick Cheney to speak at April graduation. I just feel the need to voice my opinion on this rather controversial decision. For those who don't know, the big debate is that many are outraged by the school's (and some feel the Church's) decision to allow a man whose actions have been...how shall we put this delicately...kinda sick to impart his life's wisdom to a room full of moral-conscious Mormons. The other side of the debate is that regardless of Cheney himself he is still the Vice President of our country and that office demands a certain level of respect.


I'm a political science nerd and thus having the Vice President of the United States come speak at my graduation would, under normal circumstances, have me pretty stoked (although I'm not totally sure what I mean by normal circumstances). But given the current state of affairs I feel slightly disgusted and deeply disappointed in BYU for this decision. I fall in with those that argue that regardless of his position as the Vice President he has done enough underhanded, illegal, immoral, and completely stupid things that the school and the Church should do everything they can to stay far removed from him.


I DON'T want to have to hear Cheney's views on the war, the future, or anything else for that matter. I have done what I can do to protest this by signing a petition which expresses my opposition to Cheney's speech. I would encourage you to do the same even if you won't be attending commencement...for my sake and the sake of every other graduate participating in the ceremony!


Here are some interesting posts on the subject. By Common Consent, Connor's Conundrums

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having just attended General Conference I had the wonderful thought of how effectively the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in governed and run. It is amazing the structure that the Lord established and how well it works. After looking over Mikel’s shoulder at a lot of these blogs, it does not take long to realize how diverse the Saints are in their personal opinions and cultural stances. Yet in spite of this, President Hinckly magnificantly governs a Church of 12 million while in his 90’s. I know it reflects the validity that this is God’s church, but the thought I have had lately watching the course the government of the United States has taken as of lately, it is dissapointing how the political process is being managed. It got me to thinking how different things would be if President Hinckley was also President of the United States of Amercia?